- Are your child’s immunisations up to date?
- Does your child have a BMI considered in the “healthy” range?
- In fact, now that you think about it – when was the last time you took your child for a general health check-up?
You’re probably already aware that when you give birth in Australia, you’re given a Child Health Record booklet –‘blue book’. This serves as a record of your child’s health and progress which can be shared with health professionals – including your local Bowral doctors here at Walker Street General Practice.
The book is important because every child develops at a different rate. And whilst it’s true that there’s a big range of ‘normal’ when it comes to development, and even if your child appears healthy – it’s important to monitor their development at every stage of their life. This includes immunisations and checks at the following ages:
- Newborn check;
- 1-4 weeks check;
- 2 months check & immunisations;
- 4 months immunisations;
- 6 months check & immunisations;
- 12 months check & immunisations
- 18 months check & immunisations; and
- 2 years check
- 3 years check
- 4 years immunisations and healthy kids check
Our doctors have special interests in children and adolescent health, having completed further training in children’s health. You can read more about our doctors over at https://www.wsgp.com.au/our-doctors/.
With our special interest in this area, it was only logical for us to launch our new Children’s Health Clinic, right here at Walker Street General Practice. We are committed to building a healthy foundation for your child’s future health – and that means detecting and treating potential health issues early on.
The clinic will provide a range of children’s health services including:
- Growth and development checks;
- Asthma diagnosis and management;
- Childhood obesity management;
- Mental health support;
- Healthy Kids Checks and
- Skin checks for eczema etc.
If your child is about to embark on their schooling years, the clinic offers “Healthy Kids Checks” to identify health problems and promote healthy lifestyles prior to your child starting school. The initiative will soon be expanded to include the review of a child’s developmental, social and emotional wellbeing.
Starting school is an exciting time for your child and your family – so you want to make sure you start them off on the right food, ready to learn and grow.
The check is free-of-charge and should be delivered before or at the same time as the 4 year old immunisation. During this check, we will look at your child’s:
- Height and weight;
- Oral health and toilet habit;
- Nutrition and physical activity;
- Immunisation history; and
- Other factors of concern.
All checks are recommended by the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia,. We are bulk billing our service for children under 16 years of age.
Now is the time to get your children’s health checked. What are you waiting for? Give our friendly receptionists a call on (02) 4861 3855 to book in.